What is Community Learning?
Community Learning (CL) is a method of working with groups and individuals of all ages to engage in learning, personal development and active citizenship. Support is focused on disadvantaged or vulnerable individuals or groups with the aim of bringing about change in their lives and their communities. The term refers to a distinctive process of engagement and support with content that is negotiated with learners.
CL activity has a strong focus on early intervention, prevention, tackling inequalities and includes the following:-
- Youth work, family learning and other early intervention work with children, young people and families;
- Community-based adult learning, including digital skills, core skills for learning, life and work and health & wellbeing.
- Volunteer development.
Community Learning’s specific focus should be to:
1) Improve life chances for people of all ages, including young people in particular, through learning, personal development and active citizenship.
2) Stronger, more resilient, supportive, influential and inclusive communities
What Services Do We Provide?
The Community Learning Service works alongside communities and partners to ensure individuals, families and communities reach their potential through lifelong learning, mutual self-help and strong community organisations.
Working with Young People
We aim to provide all young people, aged from 11 to 25 years in Argyll and Bute, with a range of enjoyable opportunities, challenging experiences and effective support that will enhance their personal, social, emotional development and sense of identity during the transition to adulthood. The Argyll and Bute Youth Service works closely with a range of key partners including young people, the voluntary sector, schools, community colleges and other partners.
- Employability Skills
- Youth Forums – Youth Voice
- Scottish Youth Parliament
- Activity Agreements – support for a young person to move on to empolyment, training or further education
- GIVE Holiday Programme – Get Inspired through Volunteering and Engagement
- Young Leaders Training – Accredited training for young leaders
Working with Adults
We aim to provide a range of opportunities in your community to learn new skills, make connections and changes. We offer programmes and activities, some of which are accredited under the following themes:
- Digital Skills
- Core Skills for Learning, Life and Work
- Health & Wellbeing